June 20 11

Because my kids can be bullies and because they really don’t care about how probable heat exhaustion makes me feel and because they were pretty much against the idea that going out for brunch on Father’s Day would be grand, somehow we ended up packing a backpack full of bathing suits and changes of clothing and bottles of Coppertone (60 SPF!) and our refillable Snoopy drink containers and towels and we signed up for another day in the sun. The truth is that even though I absolutely loathe water parks, spending a few free hours at Splash Works is kind of the greatest way to spend a Sunday. I refuse to go on water slides (because I hate them) but I am pleased as punch to hang out on the lazy river or at the wave pool. I imagine we will be spending a good portion of our weekends here for the next little while. (Dear rain, PLEASE TO STAY AWAY.)

The only problem with spending the day at the water park is all of the other people who are also spending the day at the water park, especially the BIKINI ABUSERS. So, as I am apt to do, I took my talents to twitter.

Now, a few of you were quick to jump on me all “HEY! Aren’t you all about swimsuit confidence? Didn’t you put on a bathing suit and allow full-body photographs of you in said bathing suit to go up on Curvy Girl Guide? What’s up with that, ALI?” But those of you who said that failed to see my seconds-later follow-up tweet.

I am a huge fan of swimsuit confidence, and if you want to throw on a bathing suit and go out in public and feel comfortable in that bathing suit, you can be a size 0 or a size 20 for all I care…I think it’s wonderful. Wonderful, that is, as long as you take one thing into account:

APPROPRIATENESS.

I don’t care what size you are…the following things are NOT appropriate for a family water park:

Nipples, if you have a vagina.

Pubic hair of any kind.

Bum crack.

String bikinis.

Ed Hardy bikinis.

Anything you might see on one of the girls from Jersey Shore.

Anything that does not properly contain your boobs or your junk when you are chasing children around.

This:

You can see where I am going with this, right?

I saw things at Canada’s Wonderland on Sunday that I will never be able to unsee.

My children saw things at Canada’s Wonderland on Sunday that THEY will never be able to unsee.

Won’t someone think of the children?

1. Ed Hardy Bikinis are not appropriate ANYWHERE…

You speak the truth.

Mari replied on

There is a nice design on a bottle of white wine that would be KILLER on a one piece, though.

Comment by Mari on June 21, 2011
  2. How can you not like waterslides?

I just DO NOT. I don’t particularly like swimming…and I don’t like being wet…and, um, I’m a control freak…

loren replied on

Please let me know if they ever create a support group for people like us.

Mari replied on

My nephew has a thing with water too, I am told, so you are totally normal.

Comment by Kristabella on June 21, 2011
  3. I go to a ghetto community pool. I see these offenders every single time I go. It’s a shame, and hurts my eyes.

Comment by designhermomma on June 21, 2011
  4. Wow. I haven’t been to a water park here, but given average temperatures, I have seen enough inappropriate clothing choices to last a life time. I’m not sure I want to see the swimsuit equivalents.

Comment by Jessa on June 21, 2011
  5. But I bought the cutest string bikini at Old Navy and I’m NOT a size 6 and I LOVE IT. (See picture on my last blog post). It’s tasteful and not tacky!!

It’s super tough to tell from the picture…but if there’s a chance that any bits could fall out while you are chasing after your children? Don’t wear it to a water park. Lying out with your friends? GOOD. Aerobicizing? NOT GOOD.

Also, how much cheek can you see?

Loukia replied on

LOL! My entire rear end is COMPLETELY covered. It only has little strings on the sides. My boobs are in place and I have worn it in the pool with my boys, and except for the time my three year old hung onto my bikini top thus exposing my boobs (only my sister was in the pool, so it’s all good) the bikini is safe. At a water park, etc. I’d wear my ONE PIECE from J.Crew. :)

If your rear is covered, I wouldn’t consider it a string bikini…these women were wearing THONGS as bottoms. THONGS!

You are totally good, my friend ;)

Comment by Loukia on June 24, 2011
  6. Ohhhh I see! Yup, I have never worn a real string bikini, in that case. NO THANK YOU!

Comment by Loukia on June 24, 2011
  7. Return of Buckwheat Posted on Gay hbebius Lick Stick While Wife Be On Yahoo Answers Club

Comment by Karina on February 8, 2012