August 18 11

Even though my office is open-concept, with the exception of the few whose booming voices carry throughout the old building, the third floor is quiet; sometimes eerily so. I have become an excellent lip-reader and and excellent IMer, so as not to disturb the genius that is happening on Queen Street. Well, the cell phone loud ringtone went off, I am not sure what I was expecting, but it was most certainly not the voice who answered with a sheepish “hello?” for the entire office to hear. It was the kind of feeling you get when you see a giant wrestler-type man order vanilla ice cream with rainbow sprinklers or when you see the man in a three-piece suit downing a colorful drink with an umbrella. Just, unexpected.

The hip-hop-meets-techno ditty that echoed long-after that phone call prompted me to immediately take to the twitters with the blanket statement about how much I can tell about a person based on his or her ringtone alone. And it’s true. I can. It’s one of those hidden talents that I pull out at parties when I need to make a good impression or when conversation leads down a “how about this weather?” path.

Kind of like how I can touch my nose with my tongue.

You are amazed. I can tell.

I currently am sporting an assortment of four ringtones that I use in rotation.

I and Love and You by The Avett Brothers

Fingertip by Aqualung

Winter Winds by Mumford & Sons

9 Crimes by Damien Rice

I wonder what these say about me.

Probably that I belonged on the set of The OC or One Tree Hill. Or that I own several pairs of Chucks and skinny jeans and hoodies. Or that I’m creative and probably had low self-esteem in high school. And that I liked Juno and Garden State even though some people thought it was cooler to hate on them and even though New Slang by The Shins didn’t change my life, even though Natalie Portman swore that it would.

What do you say? Up for a little completely and totally scientific (pinky swear!) ringtone psychoanalysis?

Bring it on.

1. The fact that I don’t know how to create/set-up(?) ringtones probably says way too much about me.

It speaks volumes. Hee!

Comment by Amanda on August 18, 2011
  2. Ok. I’ll play this game. My one-and-only ringtone is “Papa’s Got a Brand New Pigbag” by Pigbag. (Also, since I started working in open-concept offices, I have lost the ability to speak on the phone.)

You like…sporting events and/or movie soundtracks.
    You are a mixed bag… unpredictable!

Tamara replied on

Hahaha. Pigbag. I just got that. :)

Comment by Tamara on August 18, 2011
  3. OK, I read your blog all the time, but I am not a commenter often. This intrigues me so:
    Husband: Broken (Seether ft Amy Lee)
    Family: Uaimi (Cherish the Ladies)
    Everyone else: Dulaman (Celtic Women)

Comment by Amy J on August 18, 2011
  4. Also, another non-frequent commenter here. But this is interesting. I just have two ringtones.
    Adele – Rolling in the deep for everyone
    MGMT – Electric Feel for my husband

This is an interesting one.
    Hrm.
    You follow trends,,,but only sometimes.
    You wish you were a better dancer.

Andrea replied on

I DO wish I was a better dancer! Thanks for your highly scientific diagnosis.

Comment by Andrea on August 18, 2011
  5. My 6 year old niece saying Hello overcame over for 45 seconds

My 10 year old nephew singing ransoms stuff

My 13 year old nephew just talking.

Those are my main ringtones

DUH.
    You are family-oriented. And you don’t care what people think of you.
    That one was easy.

Comment by Rachel on August 18, 2011
  6. My ringtone is the opening few bars of “Safety Dance” by Men without Hats.

You might be slightly stuck in the wrong decade, but you completely and totally embrace it! :)

Comment by mapsgirl on August 18, 2011
  7. Ooooo…I’d love to hear this analysis:

For the swetie: Iz’s version of Over the Rainbow
    Everyone else: chirping birds

You liked to watch ER and/or other medical dramas and you may or may not like to annoy people?

Hahahahaha!
    SUPER scientific.

Comment by Rae Ann on August 18, 2011
  8. According to You, by Orianthi
    All Cried Out, by Lisa Lisa Cult Jam
    Anyone Else But You, by Michael Cera and Ellen Page
    Eternal Flame, by the Bangles
    Leave Me Alone, by Pink
    Runs In The Family, by Amanda Palmer
    Technologic, by Daft Punk
    Wild Thing, by The Troggs

Where’s the Ke$ha? :)

Avitable replied on

That’s what I have constantly playing from my phone, so I’d never know that I was getting a call.

Comment by Avitable on August 18, 2011
  9. Whatever the default iPhone ringtone is.

My phone is on vibrate 99% of the time. I kind of hate for it to ring or beep.

Oh ye of simple tastes.

Kristabella replied on

Not at all shocking considering my taste in music.

Comment by Kristabella on August 18, 2011
  10. I am plain, I suppose. I use the iPhone default ringtone for everybody but the kids’ school. I teach during the day so the only call I can take is the one that sets off a really horrible sounding alarm, telling me that the kids’ school is calling and oh crap, what is wrong??

Comment by alison on August 18, 2011
  11. I use vibrate mostly, but my main ring is the classic telephone ring. Except for my wife. Her ring tone is Fat Bottom Girls by Queen. A rather excellent remix I did myself to get all the highlights of the song she desired. It’s her main ringtone, so I made it match her contact in my phone.

Someday I’m thinking we need to share iPods, our taste in music seems to run in parallel and would be neat to discover something new.

Comment by Hockeymandad on August 18, 2011
  12. Oh I like this game. Although I have no clue what yours say about you.

Mine rotate as well, depending on my mood. The four I currently have in my phone are: Rock & Roll by Eric Hutchinson. Haven’t Met You Yet by Michael Buble. Say hey I love you by Michael Franti. Fucking Perfect by Pink.

Comment by Issa on August 18, 2011
  13. I have mine on the default one, set to vibrate.

However, I DID create a WonderPets ringtone (The phone, the phone is ringing!) to amuse Emily, and an A-Team ringtone to amuse Honey. :)

Oh, yours is EASY.

You are a people-pleaser!

Angella replied on

You know me well. :)

It’s highly scientific, Angella. Hee!

Comment by Angella on August 18, 2011
  14. Hmmmm, Ok I’ll play. :) My ringtone is “The 900 Number” by 45 King (a.k.a. the Ed Lover Dance).

Comment by CarrieLou on August 18, 2011
  15. My phone just rings.

Comment by LizP on August 18, 2011
  16. right now-Scooby Doo theme song

Comment by LibraryGirl62 on August 18, 2011
  17. Mine ringtone is actually from The OC, finley quaye Dice.

Comment by Tammi Marie on August 18, 2011
  18. Can you believe I only have a regular ring on my iPhone? But my playlist is awesome! I should change my ring tone…

Comment by Loukia on August 18, 2011
  19. I really appreciated your article but I often use a silent mode on my phone for it is required for us students.

Comment by Vernon on August 18, 2011
  20. What fun!
    Main ringtone is “old style telephone ring”
    The customized ones are all Pixies tunes:
    “Where Is My Mind” for the parents
    “Distance Equals Rate Times Time” for the sibs
    “Tame” for the bestie
    and “La La Love You” for.. well the love.

Comment by El on August 19, 2011
  21. My regular rotation ringtones are

“Fatty wants to dance” by Hawksley Workman
    The Robot scale from “Robot Heart” by Hawksley Workman
    “Ping Island them” by Mark Mothersbaugh (from the Auquatic Life with Steve Zissou)
    and
    the ukelele closing credit music from spongebob squarepants

The last one is my personal favorite and always makes people smile when they hear my phone ring.

Comment by Jackie on August 25, 2011