My friend came over to bring me the loveliest of gifts.
“A gift?” I wondered. A gift?
“For your birthday,” she said.
That’s right. I’m 38 now.
It happened and I don’t even remember. How’s *that* for feeling old?
The problem with celebrating a birthday on the day you spend flying from Toronto to London (Listen to me, problem …my wallet’s too small for my fifties, and my diamond shoes are too tight!) and actually losing a full 5 hours of that short 24 day due to time zones and losing a few more due to that whole sleep thing and (*shakes fist*) airplane mode, my birthday sort of didn’t happen. Facebook was truly wonderful, filled with Happy Birthdays! But it was super weird not to speak to anyone (including my children). Also, not to nitpick, but there was NO CAKE.
There’s no mistaking it now, I’m fumbling towards 40. Admittedly, I’m not one who has feeeeeeelings about turning 40, but I am starting to realize that there are things I want to do (Find Greece-like Greek yogurt in Toronto! Buy a new camera lens!), and things I want to stop doing (Stressing about crow’s feet! Sweating the small stuff!) so as a Type-A listmaker, I have gone ahead and made a list.
(Like you’re surprised.)
38 Goals for 38:
1. Procure Hamilton tickets.
2. Take at least one photo every day.
3. Get a damn haircut before the sister wives come and snatch me away.
4. Wear a bikini.
5. Not care what I look like in said bikini.
6. Pitch something.
7. Play the piano.
8. Run a race.
9. See a game at Lambeau Field.
10. Say yes to something I would have said no to.
11. Say no to something I would have said yes to.
12. Laugh every day.
13. Have a legit picnic.
14. Squish and sniff a newborn baby.
15. Smile at a stranger.
16. Rollerskate in ’80s clothing.
17. Photograph a sunrise.
18. Make cookies — eat all the dough.
19. Build the perfect running playlist. (And run to it, three times a week.)
20. Sing Total Eclipse of The Heart at karaoke.
21. Try fish.
22. Make homemade granola bars.
23. Escape a room.
24. Resist the urge to cut bangs.
25. Buy something vintage.
26. Be in two place at once.
27. Add a lock at The Distillery District.
28. Drink on a patio.
29. Pay for someone’s coffee.
30. Read 38 books.
31. Go to bed before 9pm. Once.
32. Watch my son throw a touchdown.
33. Watch my daughters dance on a stage.
34. Apply for a great job I’m completely underqualified for.
35. See something at TIFF.
36. Watch The Bachelorette with no shame.
Get my first tan ever. Done!
38. Buy myself a 38th birthday cake.