March 3 14

It’s been many, many days since I first saw Lena Dunham as Hannah Horvath spend an entire day in a teeny green bikini—at the beach, going to town, doing a full dance number, eating dinner, going to bed, waking up the next day.

You guys, she rides a bike in it.

At first I made a comment to the tune of “okay this is kind of weird, who rides a bike—shoeless—in a bikini (also where is her helmet!) for real?”

But then, you now, that bikini just sort of blended into the background and I didn’t really give it another thought beyond that moment I turned to my husband and said, “Seriously, I would kill to have a fraction of Lena Dunham’s body confidence.”

Because girl wore a teeny green bikini for an entire day spent with her frenemies at the beach.

And now I cannot get it out of my head. It has gotten under my skin. The full-day bikini.

(And I’m not the only one either. My Facebook feed was full of thoughts. She is full of thoughts.)

Because, you see, If I were to spend a day with my friends at a beach house, I’d likely be wearing my best “Compound-living Sister Wife.” Sure, I’d probably wear a bathing suit — one piece, black, with probable ruching to hide all the bumps. But you likely wouldn’t see it, since it would be spending the day under a dark-colored cover-up — complete with long skirt and long sleeves.

I am the opposite of Hannah. She isn’t aware of her body, she’s too busy enjoying the beach. I am so completely aware of my body at all times, it would likely stop me from completely enjoying the beach.

You know that thing that happens to your stomach when you sit comfortably—the dinner roll lump factor? You know that thing that happens to your legs when you sit in shorts—that spread-like effect?

Well, I sit with perfect posture for a reason; I never wear shorts in public for a reason.

The reason is that I stupidly think you notice these things. That I stupidly think you care about them. The lumps. The leg spreads.

The reason is that I stupidly notice these things.

I need to stop.

I need to learn a little from Hannah.

lena-dunham-green-bikini

Except maybe not when it comes to riding a bike...

1. I hate shorts but feel good in a bikini, if I’m by the pool or beach! When I walk to like, the bar, I like to wrap a cover-up around me, but for some reason, I’m okay in a two-piece and Lord knows my body ain’t perfect! Also I am all for everyone loving their body, but I don’t think it’s totally awesome for people to wear bikinis all over the place. Dress code! ;)

Hahah. No. I’m not talking about wearing

one inappropriately the way Hannah is apt to do…it was more about being able to wear something and not be constantly thinking that other people are noticing or even care… not sure if that makes sense…

Loukia replied on

Gotcha! You should have that confidence. xo

Comment by Loukia on March 3, 2014
  2. I wish I felt more comfortable in a bikini. I *know* I look just fine but I can’t help worrying about what everyone else is thinking. I wish I didn’t care, but I do. It’s frustrating because I know 10 years from now when my “bikini years” are behind me, I’m going to regret all the time I wasted worrying when I should have been enjoying myself.

Comment by Alison on March 4, 2014
  3. Over the last few years I have become okay with wearing a bikini much more than when I was in my 20s (and from an aesthetic point of view, looked much better). I’m not sure when the actual switch took place. However, I would never ride a bike in my bikini due to the ass crackage fallout that would ensue. Also, helmets are important.

It’s like that Seinfeld episode when he talks about what you should and shouldn’t do naked…riding a bike is totally one of those things :)

Comment by Sharon on March 4, 2014
  4. I hear what you’re saying, I’m nodding in agreement and all, “Sing it, Ali.” And yet. I’m pretty sure my bikini days are over. I can’t imagine ever having the guts (punny!)to wear a two piece again, even at the beach, let alone all day.

Even if it’s not a bikini, though.
    I feel uncomfortable in lots of clothing…it’s more about being able to drown out that noise…and just be free.

Comment by Rebecca on March 4, 2014
  5. Yeah, I’m not really suggesting that I go out and put on ill-fitting clothing and buy a smaller-than-I-should-be-wearing bikini.

It’s more about the idea that she’s not bothered by it—she was comfortable to wear a bikini. I am not even comfortable wearing shorts. Hannah Horvath (and Lena Dunham) are a bit over-exaggerated…but it was something that made me THINK about how I think about my clothing and bathing suits and how I think people look at me etc.

And I think that’s a big win for her and her character.

Comment by ali on March 4, 2014
  6. I’m the same way. I should really care less about what others think.

I remember when we went to Jamaica for my friend’s wedding. I was dreading being in a bathing suit all the time. But then I got there and they had a swim up bar and a lazy river and a water slide and I didn’t care. I walked to the bathroom in my bathing suit, without a cover up. I didn’t care. I was having a BLAST!

I need to remember that more.

Excellent post!

Yeah. See…I wouldn’t get on a lazy river without a cover-up on. I really wish I would, because I feel like it’d be a lot more fun.

Comment by Kristabella on March 4, 2014
  7. I don’t get it. Maybe I’m a horrible feminist but I found the green bikini to be really distracting. I know it’s human nature to feel self-conscious, and the fact that Hannah isn’t is supposed to empower her in some way, but I can’t help feeling so judgmental when she doesn’t dress professionally for a work situation, etc.

I think it’s totally cool not to get it…and I think everyone gets different things out of different things :)

For me, it just kept nagging at me…with this strong message. And I can’t stop thinking about it, so I wrote about it.

xo

Comment by Jessica on March 4, 2014
  8. I can’t say I watch the show, but it sounds like a great concept, to be happy with your body and not care so much about what others think. I usually wear a tankini or a full shirt, but mostly because I don’t want to get burnt…. I do also appreciate some modesty. There’s a lady in hot yoga and I always worry her bra is so low her chest is going to come flying out. Maybe it’s old fashioned but I think certain parts of the body are best left to the bedroom and your partner. But I think it’s great to be comfortable in your own body.

Oh, I too am a fan of modesty.

Maybe I need to clarify in the post. I don’t want to wear Hannah’s bikini. I want to have the freedom to wear ANYTHING and be comfortable enough to drown out the body-image noise…

Jenn replied on

No need to clairfy, and if you did want to wear her bikini to the beach you totally should. It looks like a great bikini and it’s the beach! I’ve seen some much skimpier….

The beach, though.
    Not…walking around town…and barefoot. haaaaaa!

xoxo

Comment by Jenn on March 4, 2014
  9. I LOVE that Hannah rode the bike in her bikini and I LOVE that she wore it so comfortably for days. While her character annoys me SO MUCH I think the fact that she wears what she wants wherever she wants is amazing. I hope that I can parent my kids well enough so that they can wear green bikinis and not think twice about it. I wish I could.

Not on a bike for me.
    Imagine the CHAFING.
    omg.

Haaaaa.

Comment by Sandy on March 4, 2014
  10. I don’t see the chafing risk… I do see a wedgie issue though. hahahahaha

Comment by Sandy on March 4, 2014
  11. a) I’m not sure what bumps you’re talking about, because you have a lovely figure
    b) No one should wear shorts in public for any reason, because shorts are ugly and unflattering.
    c) I make exceptions to the shorts rule for people doing athletic activities that require them. I’m not a monster.
    d) Someone rode a bike in a bikini? I don’t even like to ride a bike without those padded seat thingies.
    e) Body confidence is a good thing, and I promise you WE think about our own body “flaws” way more than anyone else ever would.
    f) I applaud this post.

Comment by Nicole Boyhouse on March 4, 2014
  12. Your post really hit close to home for me…especially as the extra winter hibernation weight is sticking around. Every motivational quote on Pinterest says love who you are, be confident in your body. Those are great messages. Truly. I just wish I would believe them and live them as a true mantra…instead of hiding underneath my coverup. Literally and figuratively.

Comment by Mrs. Bailey on March 6, 2014