January 23 13

Once upon a time I was a girl who had bangs.

Once upon a time, I was a girl whose bangs were mostly cute.

Screen Shot 2013-01-23 at 9.54.17 AM

bangs3

Screen Shot 2013-01-23 at 9.21.19 AM

(Yes. I also wore a Porsche hoodie with a tutu skirt. LIKE YOU NEVER.)

And then, well, once upon a time I became an awkward teenager.

Once upon a time, I was a girl who had bangs again. Bangs that I cut myself. (Oh Ali. Just. No.)

Once upon a time, I was a girl whose bangs were not even a little bit cute.

I will never live down 1995. (I will also never be able to apologize enough to these three lovely ladies who get their 1995 put up on the internet either.)

Screen Shot 2013-01-23 at 9.21.30 AM

“You do not have the face for bangs.” They said.

“Bangs are not a good look for you. They will never be.” They said.

“Round faces can’t do bangs.” They said.

Well, screw THEM.

Ali Gets Banged

bangity bangs

Once again, I am a girl who has bangs.

If the FLOTUS can do it, so can I.

Right?

1. Me too! Just did mine this weekend after 14 years with no bangs. Holy change. And bonus: hides the forehead wrinkles and unruly eyebrows. Everybody wins.

The funny thing is…it doesn’t feel like such a huge change. Maybe it’s because I am still in the early obsessed stage?

In fact, I think I need to get them a little thicker to get the full Taylor Swift. Heh.

Comment by Sarahviz on January 23, 2013
  2. Cute! I have a renewed love affair with bangs too. After a traumatic childhood full of them.

Comment by Maria on January 23, 2013
  3. And once again, you’re rivaling Whoorl for Best Hair on the Internetz. Love it, girl!

alimartell replied on

Well, that’s the best compliment in the world!

Comment by Camels & Chocolate on January 23, 2013
  4. okay. When reading the title to the blog, I must admit that the eye brows rose. (ALI REALLY IS SHARING TODAY!)

I think that they are very becoming on you. Now AND then. Rarely anyone looks good in the awkward years.

Comment by Rae Ann on January 23, 2013
  5. HEY! I was told my face was too round for bangs too. Hmmmmmm.

alimartell replied on

I have been told that MY ENTIRE LIFE.

Comment by Louise on January 23, 2013
  6. I love them! I will never get them again because someone once told me that I look better without them. Ahem.

I still hold by that. I prefer your hair without bangs! Your new style is amazing!

Kristabella replied on

Thanks! But now everyone has bangs and I want bangs!

Comment by Kristabella on January 23, 2013
  7. Right! You look adorable!!! I miss my bangs. I had a little nervous breakdown about a year and a half ago, dyed my hair black, and cut myself bangs. And they actually did look good (after my hairdresser friend fixed them). I’m due for another nervous breakdown in May (when I turn 30), so maybe I’ll cut them again then. :)

Comment by Jen Wilson on January 23, 2013
  8. Becca looks AWESOME circa 1995. Love the new bangs!

Shhh.Do not get me in trouble!! Ha! Sigh…they were all so much cuter than I was.

Comment by Arica Saltzman on January 23, 2013
  9. They look FAB! Love love love.

alimartell replied on

I’m obsessed. they get better every day!

Comment by Heather on January 23, 2013
  10. I love them, I’m also so jealous because this is one area where we cannot be twins as I really don’t have the face for bangs. Nor do I have the hair line or cooperating hair. Sigh.

alimartell replied on

You would look stunning with long sideswept ones!

Comment by Jen on January 23, 2013
  11. I love the bangs!!!

alimartell replied on

Thanks!

Comment by Maija @ Maija's Mommy Moments on January 23, 2013
  12. Right! They look awesome! Totally have the face for it. And you look 5 years younger. Super cute, love it!

ps. I’ve had bangs since 1998. Just cannot go without anymore.

alimartell replied on

I look tons younger, it’s so funny. and I already look young. I could pull an Andrea Zuckerman and be a high school student. hahah

Comment by monstergirlee on January 23, 2013