March 6 12

11:00pm. I’m wiped. I should probably go to sleep now.

*yawn*

11:15pm. I’ll just play a game of Ticket to Ride on my iphone.

*yawn*

11:30. I’ll just play another one.

*yawn*

11:45. Let’s just see what’s on Netflix…

*yawn*

12:15. Oh! Let’s see what my sister is up to now.

*yawn*

12:30. Maybe I need to organize my sock drawer.

*yawn*

1:00. Maybe I should just play one more game of Ticket To Ride.

*yawn*

1:30am. *GARAGE DOOR OPENS*

1:33am. “Hi honey, I’m ho….”

Snooooooooooooze.

Without fail, this is what hockey night looks like at our house.

Because, being the control freak that I am, I need my husband to be IN THE HOUSE before I can fall asleep.

I have to be the one to fall asleep first, of course. Don’t even get me started on what happens when he falls asleep before I do, because it involves an excessive amount of poking and plugging his nose and actually forcing him to wake up so I can fall asleep while he is awake.

I don’t even know.

Where does this come from?

I’m wondering if it stems, somehow, from deep inside my messed up psyche, that as a toddler, my Eastern-European Zaydie who moved to Milwaukee to help my mom raise me and my sister used to sit at the end of my bed until I fell asleep. Every single night.

He also basically never ever let me be alone.

He also basically spoon-fed me until I went to school.

See that apple? MINE.

Luckily I am capable of eating with my own utensils.

But I still can’t go to sleep alone.

1. The strangest thing about this is that you are not alone. I have the exact same problem (except it’s usually a band rehearsal instead of hockey). My husband actually reads to me so that I can fall asleep. Otherwise, there’s a lot of… “are you asleep?…” going on. Luckily, he’s a very nice man. And he seems to like me. Also lucky that he, so opposite from me, can fall asleep in fifteen seconds flat.

Comment by Jessica on March 6, 2012
  2. Those photos are adorable!

I’m glad I don’t have this problem, as it would mean I would never sleep since I am waiting for someone who would never come. Unless it was a robber.

What is Ticket to Ride? Do I need to download the app for the next time I see you?

You have to get Ticket to Ride.
    HAVE TO.
    And we can play each other!!

Kristabella replied on

Is it better than Draw Something???

I don’t know. I have Draw Something but have never played it.

Also, you’ll see far fewer annoying tweets about it. Hee!

Comment by Kristabella on March 6, 2012
  3. I love the pics of you and your grandfather. So much love. I see the same expression on my parents’ and in-laws’ faces when I take pictures of them with my little one. Also, he clearly had great taste in hats!

I once wrote a whole photo essay about all of his hats. They were awesome.

Tamara replied on

I want to see that photo essay. Future post?

Comment by Jen on March 6, 2012
  4. I’m with you on all points. I didn’t have a Zaydie who took care of me and generally I can feed myself, but it probably is a control thing.

Comment by Kat on March 6, 2012
  5. Your sleeping habits and routine are one of life’s great mysteries. I’ve seen it with my own eyes.

You speak the truth.

Comment by Angie [A Whole Lot of Nothing] on March 6, 2012
  6. I love that. I know you’re having issues as a result of it, but I’m sure you loved it when you were a kid.

Comment by Sandy on March 6, 2012
  7. Those photo’s are beautiful! You are blessed to have him be such an integral part of your childhood.
    I absolutely hate it when Ray falls asleep before me… If he does, I toss & turn. I’ll wake him up to help ME fall asleep. Rub my back! Talk to me (so I can then fall asleep to his sleepy monotone voice)… cup me (that usually does the trick)
    I have a pretty great man with a whole lotta patience!

Comment by CynthiaB on March 6, 2012
  8. That is so funny! I can’t fall asleep until your husband comes home from hockey either!

Comment by Gav on March 6, 2012
  9. Those pictures are AMAZING.

But now I need to know what happens when Gav is out of town…

I just don’t sleep at all..but that’s pretty much because someone is sick. heh.

Comment by Meghan on March 6, 2012
  10. Oh my granddaddy and I were like that too. He and my grandmother moved in with my mom and me to help raise me after my dad died when I was a baby.

He used to take me to the drug store to hang out with his old-man friends and let me have a Coke while he had coffee.

He wore hats like your Zaydie, too.

Close families are a blessing.

Comment by cristan on March 6, 2012
  11. you know you’ve got a strong marriage when you plug your partner’s nose AS he’s falling asleep and he still loves you in the morning :) been there, done that

Comment by Louise on March 6, 2012
  12. there’s some love in those photos :-)

Comment by julie on March 7, 2012
  13. who want abercrombie kidsclothing ,It’s cheap,and discount

Comment by jack on April 8, 2012
  14. good

Comment by david on April 10, 2012
  15. Are you watching a puma sandales? Many new styles,hommes et femmes.

Comment by david on April 10, 2012
  16. summer is coming ,weather get more and more hot,find a casquette ed hardy?Pas cher,for en gros enligne

Comment by david on April 18, 2012